How to Pack Your Computer for Moving - A Guide
How to pack your computer for moving is an important question for your relocation. The computer holds many personal photos and files, personal information, passwords to accounts, or if it is part of your home office when moving you will need to keep the data safe. Packing a computer for shipping with the movers means you need to take care of it so that it will be not just well packed, but also securely transported and functioning once unpacked. This guide will explain to you what you need to do and how to do it for a proper PC relocation.
How to Prepare to Pack a Desktop Computer
Before you plan how to pack your desktop computer you need to take a few steps:
- Get insurance. This is one of the questions to ask Smart Removals. In order to be sure that your computer is well secured during shipment requires from the removals what insurance they offer, at what conditions and how much does it cost.
- Protect the information on it. Use an external hard drive and copy all the information you have on your computer. In case your PC gets damaged during shipping as unlikely as it might be, you need to be prepared for this option as well. Take this external memory with you; don’t pack it with the PC or laptop.
- Remove all the disks, diskettes, USB sticks and other devices inside or connected to your computer.
- When packing a computer for shipping, get the cables ready next. Take a look at the wiring and try to remember how your computer was connected. If you are not sure you will be able to get it back right again you can photograph the way the cables are connected and place the photos with the external memory drive.
- Carefully disconnect the cables before you pack a laptop for shipping. Fold each cable and tie it up so it won’t unfold. Place all the cables together in a bag and wrap it with bubble wrap. Now take a look at our guide on how to pack your PC or laptop to move to another house.
Packing a Computer for Moving
Computers are expensive and also delicate so they need to be handled carefully when packing. The right way to pack your home computer is essential for preserving it and the information it holds.
So what do you need to do?
- Get the packing supplies. Packing a computer for moving begins with finding the right packing materials. You will need one strong, sturdy box, one that is used to pack dishes would do just fine. You will need paper (or newsprint) and bubble wrap for the packing, tape to seal the box and a marker to label it.
- Prepare the box by taping the sides and bottom in order to secure their strength and safety. Next when packing a computer for shipping use packing paper, crumple it and place it at the bottom of the box. It will be used as a cushioning. Now you are ready to pack a desktop computer or a laptop.
- In order to pack a desktop computer well wrap the computer or laptop with bubble wrap, tape it and place the computer on its side inside the box right on the crumpled paper. The protection that you will provide next will be to smash more packing paper and fill in any emptiness around the computer so that when transported it won’t shift inside the box. This is how to pack your laptop as well – use a lot of smashed packing paper around it.
- After the computer is inside the box put on top of it more smashed packing paper for a base of the monitor. Wrap the monitor with bubble wrap so that screen is protected at the front and at the back as well. Use tape to secure the bubble wrap so that it won’t move. This is how to pack a computer monitor.
- Get a strong box and use a lot of packing paper and bubble wrap to protect your computer during shipping.
- Place the computer monitor on top of the computer, standing upright and begin filling the empty space with crumpled packing paper. In order to be well prepared with how to pack your PC once you have placed another layer of folded packing paper it is time to prepare the accessories.
- After you know how to pack your laptop or PC for shipping take the keyboard. Fold its cable and tie it, then place it on the keyboard and wrap it all with packing paper. For best results when preparing how to pack your laptop use 2 or 3 sheets of packing paper for the keyboard and then place it next to the monitor in the box. There should be a layer of crumpled paper between the monitor and the keyboard.
- Pack the mouse in the same way like the keyboard – fold the cable and wrap it with a layer of packing paper. After that place the mouse in the box on the keyboard or next to it. Then after you have packed your desktop computer or laptop use smashed packing paper to fill in the rest of the emptiness inside the box. Make sure that there is enough packing paper so that everything inside the box is stable and well packed. This is how to pack your PC safely.
- You can pack your computer devices like a printer or scanner in the same way.
Knowing how to pack your computer for a move is an important step but not the only one you should be aware of. Be careful where you place the computer in the moving truck. Even though you should have packed it well if you have followed the tips above, don’t place your home PC next to sharp metal objects that have not been covered with moving blankets or pads.
Packing a computer for moving is not difficult and yet if you don’t have time because you are relocating to a large house, you can call the movers in. While you are busy organizing your relocation, Smart Removals are going to be there to do all the work in moving your home while you only have to tell them what you want. Enjoy your move!